Air India Express to fly higher as a major expansion in fleet and network in progress

As Air India looks to have a 30% share in both domestic and international markets, the airline’s chief Campbell Wilson has said that significant investments will be made to grow the fleet of Air India Express after the AirAsia India merger.

The Tata group is working on streamlining its airline business and will be having a single low-cost carrier under the Air India Express brand after merging AirAsia India with it. The merger is expected to be completed by the end of 2023.

ALSO READ – Air India to integrate AirAsia India with Air India Express by the end of 2023

“We will also be investing significantly to grow the new Air India Express’s fleet, network and market share dramatically in the coming months and years. This growth, and that of the full-service Air India, will accord many new and exciting opportunities for the Group and staff alike.

Bringing AirAsia India into our family and merging it with AI Express, will allow us to build a much stronger low-cost carrier. The two airlines’ route networks are highly complementary and, operated together, feature 52 aircraft and a footprint of over 20 domestic and 13 global destinations. The combined airline will eventually operate under the Air India Express name but will draw from the best of airlines.” 

Campbell Wilson, CEO & MD, Air India

To ensure alignment between the two carriers, Campbell said that during and beyond the integration process, he will chair the boards of Air India Express and AirAsia India.

ALSO READ – Air India Express plans massive international expansion in the next 5 years

On both the boards, Air India CCO Nipun Aggarwal, respective CEOs — Aloke Singh and Sunil Bhaskaran — Air India’s independent directors — P R Ramesh and Alice Vaidyan — will be there. Air India CFO Vinod Hejmadi will remain on Air India Express board, as per the communication.

AIR INDIA EXPRESS
Air India Express to fly higher as a major expansion in fleet and network in progress

ALSO READ – AirAsia India is now a fully-owned subsidiary of Air India

On Wednesday, November 2 it was announced that Air India has signed agreements to have a 100% stake in AirAsia India. According to the share purchase agreement, AirAsia India can continue to use the ‘AirAsia’ brand name for 12 months.

The carrier is a joint venture between Tata Sons and Air Asia Investment Ltd. Tata Sons has an 83.67% stake and the remaining 16.33% shareholding is with AirAsia.

Responses

Feed
Jobs
News
Magazine