In a bid to chart recovery for international travel, IndiGo will become the first airline in India to launch ‘IATA Travel Pass’ on a trial basis. The ‘IATA Travel Pass’ is a mobile app that helps travellers to store and manage their verified certifications for Covid-19 tests or vaccines. Accordingly, the initiative is expected to help passengers easily and securely manage their travel in line with any government requirements for Covid-19 testing or vaccine information.
The pilot project will begin in the country from August 20 onwards. The passengers will be able to share the test and vaccination certificates with authorities as well as airlines to facilitate travel, the airline said in a statement on Tuesday.
According to IATA’s website, travellers will not be able to use it unless their airline is part of a trial. If your airline is participating in one of these trials, they can provide you with instructions on how to use IATA Travel Pass.iata
Ronojoy Dutta, Chief Executive Officer, IndiGo said, “This initiative is a significant step to prepare for a new normal, especially with regards to international travel. Today, most countries have implemented protocols for travellers across the globe and this ‘IATA Travel Pass’ will simplify and digitise the requisite passenger information for respective countries.” “We are certain that our collaboration with IATA on this innovation will prove to be a stepping-stone towards international air travel recovery, while providing a hassle-free experience to our customers,” he added.
Benefits of Travel Pass
- The pass will enable IndiGo passengers to create a ‘digital passport’ to verify their pre-travel test or vaccination status to meet the SOPs of the destination.
- Furthermore, the passengers will be able to share the test and vaccination certificates with the authorities as well as the airlines to facilitate travel.
- The app will also enable passengers to manage and save all their travel documentation digitally and seamlessly throughout the travel experience.
- The platform will enable authorised labs and test centres to securely send test results or vaccination certificates to passengers.
- The global registry, operated by IATA, will manage, and allow the secure flow of necessary information amongst all stakeholders and to provide a seamless passenger experience.
How does the document work ?
The IATA Travel Pass has four open and interoperable modules which together create the end-to-end solution. IATA Travel Pass incorporates;
- Global registry of health requirements – enables passengers to find accurate information on travel, testing and eventually vaccine requirements for their journey.
- Global registry of testing/vaccination centres – enables passengers to find testing centres and labs at their departure location which meet the standards for testing and vaccination requirements of their destination.
- Lab App – enables authorized labs and test centres to securely share test and vaccination certificates with passengers.
- Contactless Travel App – enables passengers to (1) create a ‘digital passport’, (2) receive test and vaccination certificates and verify that they are sufficient for their itinerary, and (3) share testing or vaccination certificates with airlines and authorities to facilitate travel. This app can also be used by travellers to manage travel documentation digitally and seamlessly throughout their journey, improving the travel experience.
Something for everyone
For governments – The IATA Travel Pass will make it easier to duly verify the authenticity of the required tests and the identity of those presenting the test certificates. The Travel Pass is based on IATA’s views that a uniform testing regime would make for more effective safety and health protocol than that of quarantine requirements.
For airlines – The Travel Pass will enable them to accurately provide information to their passengers regarding test requirements and to verify that a passenger meets the requirements for travel.
For Covid test laboratories – The Travel Pass will provide the means to issue and securely deliver digital test or vaccination certificates to passengers that will be recognized by governments.
For travellers – The Travel Pass will enable them to procure accurate information on travel, testing (and eventually vaccine) requirements for their journey along with several other advantages:
- Enables passengers to find testing centres and labs at their departure location which meet the standards for testing/vaccination requirements of their destination
- Enables passengers to create a ‘digital passport’, verify their test/vaccination meets the regulations & shares test or vaccination certificates with authorities to facilitate travel.
- Can be used by travellers to manage travel documentation digitally and seamlessly throughout the travel experience.
The app was first used in the third week of March by an international passenger travelling from Singapore to London’s Heathrow Airport on Singapore Airlines, signifying “there is light at the end of the very long tunnel”.
As of late, numerous airlines like Singapore Airline, British Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways among others and a growing number of governments worldwide are trialling the IATA Travel Pass.
This is a very good sign for the Indian aviation industry as IndiGo starts IATA Travel pass, this will open several new doors for the international passengers during these trying times when travelling is full of challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.