Mopa International airport to be inaugurated by the PM after December 8

Chief Minister of Goa announced on Friday, November 4 that the international airport in Mopa in Goa will be inaugurated after December 8 depending on the schedule of PM Modi.

Chief Minister Pramod Sawant stated on Friday that the air traffic control tower and passenger terminal building at the Mopa international airport is currently around 95% finished. He took stock of the airport’s development in the evening and declared, “The remaining 5% of the ongoing work is mostly of landscaping and beautification.” So, the remaining work would be finished most probably in the next 15 days.

​​Sawant stated that the lounges for arrival and departure as well as the facilities for baggage claim are essentially ready for air passengers. The construction of the airport is proceeding as planned and the public opening of the airport is almost complete. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s availability will determine when the ceremony will take place.

PM Modi will inaugrate Mopa airport after December 8

The Chief Minister responded to concerns about the delay in road construction by stating that road connectivity from the national highway to the airport would be finished by October 2023. 

“The government has undertaken road widening for which the deadline is November 23. The airport will also get road connectivity to Kudal in Maharashtra.

-Sawant said

In November 2016, the Goa government and GMR Airports Ltd (GAL), a division of GMR Infrastructure, inked a concession agreement for the development and management of Mopa’s new international airport.

According to GMR Goa Chief Executive Officer R. Seeshan, who will be in charge of managing the facility, only domestic flights will be taking off following the airport’s December opening. International flights will begin to operate in January 2023.

“Almost all domestic airlines are interested in operating from the Mopa airport with requests for 100 parking slots made so far by the airlines.” 

-Sheshan disclosed

He also said that five international airlines have so far requested parking spaces. Major retailers will occupy space in the passenger terminal to provide a full shopping experience.

With plans to raise capacity after 80% of the goal is accomplished, it will initially have a 4.5 million passenger capacity. In Phase 1, the airport’s integrated cargo terminal will be able to handle 25,000 tonnes of cargo.

“The airport can handle 4.4 million footfalls annually. This will be increased depending on demand. We have also installed a 25,000-ton Temperature Control Facility at the airport to handle pharma, fruits, floriculture, horticulture items etc,” he added.

ALSO READ – Dabolim Airport will remain operational

On Wednesday, November 2, the Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation V K Singh announced that the current Dabolim airport of Goa and the planned Mopa airport will operate simultaneously. 

Dabolim airport, Goa
Dabolim airport and Mopa airport in Goa will work simultaneously

These airports’ traffic management would be carried out to prevent any losses for either of them. Only 70 planes currently land each day at the airport in Vasco City, a civic enclave in the southern part of Goa, which is located near Dabolim.

After the commissioning, of the Mopa airport, the number of flights landing in Goa will go up to 150, Chief Minister Sawant said in July this year.

ALSO READ – First test flight conducted at Goa’s new Mopa International Airport

The GMR company will run the airport in Mopa while the Indian Navy manages the airport in Dabolim. On October 26, the Mopa Airport received an aerodrome licence from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), opening the door for the launch of commercial aviation operations there.

Responses

Feed
Jobs
News
Magazine